Saturday, August 3, 2013

Lists of Things

Well, we’re about a week in and I’ve already learned a lot. 

Tests Thus Far:
  • Ultrasound
  • Mammogram
  • Biopsy
  • PET/CT Scan
  • Genetic test for the “breast cancer gene”
Things We Know:
  • There is one large lump (about 1 inch) and several smaller lumps in my left breast.
  • Based on the ultrasound, it doesn’t look like the cancer has spread to my lymph nodes, although that’s not conclusive.
  • The biopsy confirmed that the big lump is invasive cancer (I really don’t like the sound of the word “invasive”) and that the little lumps are likely the same thing. 
  • Because the science allows pretty decent targeting, the biopsy also showed that the cancer is susceptible to hormones, which is good; it means that we can put me into early menopause for the next 5-10 years and help treat it that way.  It also sucks, because it means I have to go into early menopause.  I’ll add it to the list of indignities.
  • The biopsy also showed that 40% of the cancer cells are still replicating, which is high-ish.  It’s supposedly unusual to have it be both susceptible to hormones and replicating so much, but it’s “good” in that chemotherapy only works on replicating cancer, so that’s another thing we’re going to be able to throw at the cancer to fight it. 
  • I now have little metal markers in all three sites biopsied in case they need to refer back to where they were.  They look like miniature fishhooks. 
  • The PET/CT scan showed no other cancers anywhere else – first unequivocally good news thus far!
Treatment Plan:
  • I have to have a full mastectomy, because the tumor is large and the little tumors around it mean all the tissue is potentially dangerous.
  • I’m leaning towards a double mastectomy, just to prevent myself from having to go through this ever again.  And because really, going through life with one boob does not sound appealing.
  • I have a couple meetings scheduled with radiologists and oncologists next week.  Still TBD on radiation and chemo, but I’m very likely to have to do both.  Apparently normal radiation is about 6 weeks of daily weekday sessions.  Chemo can range from a couple months to six months or so depending on the different drugs. 
  • Chemo may be before or after the surgery.  Radiation will be last.
  • One of the oncologists I’m talking to is running a trial at Swedish, so I’d have to do more tests but get even more targeted chemo if I qualify. 
  • Depending on the genetic test results, they may recommend a hysterectomy.  A positive result puts me at risk for ovarian cancer, which they’re really bad at detecting, so they recommend removing your ovaries preventatively.  But no results yet, so we’ll see.
  • And reconstructive surgery comes last, at least 6 months after radiation. 

List of Indignities:
  • Having to quit nursing Leia because I was radioactive after the PET scan, and shortly will have no breasts to nurse her with.  Even though she’s two, and I’d planned to wean her, I really would have liked to do it on my terms.
  • Not being able to hold my kids the night after the PET scan, also due to radioactivity.  
  • Having to be put into early menopause, or possibly have a hysterectomy.  I’m so not excited about this one.
  • Having no nipples.  For some reason that’s hit the highest mark on my creep-o-meter.  Although apparently they will remake them during reconstructive surgery.  And tattoo them so they’re the right color.  I wonder if you get a color consultant, or they have a palette you can select from? 

Okay, enough about that.  Next entry will be funnier, I promise. 

1 comment:

  1. I would like a palette to choose from :) Also getting to pick how large or small they are would be a plus.

    ReplyDelete