Monday, September 2, 2013

Ta Ta, Ta-Tas

Bye, bye, boobies.  (Credit for the ta-tas line goes to my friend Erin :)

I guess they’ve served me well.  I remember how embarrassed I was when I first got them, and how I perfected the art of tying my sweater over my shoulders to hide them.  And then there was the phase of showing them off in reasonably inappropriate low-cut shirts through my late teens and early twenties.  And finally the sweet quiet moments of nursing both my babies with them.  Throughout the last month or so, I’ve been mostly ok, focused on getting to a plan, with occasional bouts of fear or anger.  The last couple days, though, I’ve just felt sad – it’s definitely the end of a chapter of my life, but hopefully the beginning of a LONG and healthy chapter of being cancer free!

My surgery’s scheduled for tomorrow morning, and will run five and a half hours.  I’ll be having a:
  • Double mastectomy
  • Chemo port insertion
  • Sentinel lymph node biopsy (which actually means removal) on the left side; and if that comes back positive for cancer Dr. Clarfeld will take out the remaining lymph nodes
I’ll be in the hospital overnight and then back home the next morning; then will have a few weeks to recover before chemo starts. 

See you on the other side.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to hearing how you're doing post surgery! Love and healing vibes <3

    ReplyDelete