Friday, September 6, 2013

Happy New Year

Right before surgery Tuesday morning my awesome surgeon asked if I had any questions, and I said no, but that I was confident that we were doing the right thing.  And he pointed out that after we were done, I would be cured…the rest of the treatments are just making sure the cancer doesn’t come back.    So here’s to a Happy New Year that’s cancer free!

Thoughts post-surgery:
  • Considering that it was about a 6-hour surgery, it’s pretty crazy that I just had to stay at the hospital overnight, and was mobile just a couple hours after surgery.  
  •  My lymph nodes were clear of cancer (hooray!) so they only had to remove the first set (5 of them in my case).  That means a lower risk of lymphedema in my lifetime.
  •  I continued my trend of being dramatically ill from the anesthesia for the rest of the day post-surgery.  Ugh.  I’m so not looking forward to the two reconstructive surgeries I’ll have to have too!
  •  I woke up super stiff - how did my neck and legs get so sore?  And why did my cheeks feel like someone had punched them?  But as of Thurs I was feeling mostly better on that front.
  •  Drains are gross, and I can’t wait to get them out (usually 10 days post-surgery).  They’re the thing that still hurts right now.
  •  I am a terrible patient; my wonderful mother-in-law and husband have lectured me at least 10 times a day to take it easier but I am bored out of my mind and terrible at sitting still.  So feel bad for my family; I think they’re tired of coming upstairs and finding me sitting up checking my email instead of sleeping. 


Pathology report is due back today sometime; hopefully it will say the tumor was smaller than expected.


Shana Tova to those celebrating!  

No comments:

Post a Comment