Saturday, February 15, 2014

Out with a Bang, also known as #ChemOver

It’s Saturday night, and Monday is my last dose of chemo. 

On balance, I’ve been super lucky through the second chemo drug I’ve been on for the last 11 weeks.  I’ve had relatively mild side effects, specifically managing to avoid the neuropathy that’s a common side effect.  My “Chemo Salons” (where all sorts of interesting friends have come to keep me company while I’m at the hospital) have been amazing – a wonderful way to reconnect with friends I haven’t seen in a while, and an almost guilt-inducing chance to have kid-free conversations with some of my favorite parent friends.  And my wonderful family and friend support system have continued to pitch in to help keep the rest of my life running relatively smoothly. 

However, this last week has been kind of a pain in the ass.  I’ve been unnaturally grumpy in a way that I can tell is somewhat medication related (because usually I’m just a peach!) and my mouth and tongue sores have come back, probably because I stopped being as hard core about chewing ice during my treatments.  Work has been full of fire drills and re-orgs, nothing serious, but a lot of running in circles.  I’m nervous about what radiation will be like and sad that my in-laws are going home on Tuesday.  I think most of all though, I’m just ready to be done. 


The good news is I’m almost there.  I have an awesome lineup of friends planning to come to my last chemo day (if you’re reading this I’d love to have you stop by too!) and I’m ready to call #ChemOver and move onto the next phase.  Wish me luck!

2 comments: