Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Everyone Must Be Drinking to Stay Inside GasPanic!

A long time ago, in what feels like a different life, I used to travel to Japan for work a lot.  The trips were always a blast, with lots of important partner meetings book-ended by lots of excellent food, fantastic people-watching, and mildly excessive drinking.  There was a bar that we particularly liked in the Roppongi district called GasPanic, supposedly named for the Sarin gas attacks in the Tokyo subway system several years earlier (why someone would think this was a good idea, I have no clue).  From their website, a classically Japanese point of view:

[GASPANIC] offers a special atmosphere that helps its customers to forget about their daily, hectic lifestyles. Any bars can serve alcoholic beverages, but GASPANIC likes to offer an energetic atmosphere to make its customers smile and give everyone a great time. 

And in the bar was a sign to ensure that you weren't just hanging out taking up space - "Everyone Must Be Drinking to Stay Inside GASPANIC!" 

Anyway, I've been thinking about that the last week or so as I've been dealing with yet another crazy chemo side-effect - this time strange pressure in my chest that makes me feel like I'm having a panic attack - except I'm totally fine, breathing normally, and it only happens when I'm relaxing.  My doctor thinks it's just reflux caused by the chemo presenting itself strangely, and every test they've done shows that I'm just fine, but just like I've read that smiling can make people happy, feeling like I'm having a panic attack has been making me...well...let's just say stressed out.  

Part of me is just astounded at how strange the human body is, and part of me is just so completely ready to be feeling all better that I can't stand it. Calming thoughts sent my way would be very welcome right about now.

No comments:

Post a Comment