Monday, November 4, 2013

Randomized Ice Cream Trial

My Doctor has placed me on a randomized trial today - will I spend my chemo session sucking on ice cubes, or downing Tillamook chocolate ice cream?  Only time will tell.

Let's back up for a second - last week was great; I felt strong and healthy almost all week, except for the time when I thought it would be a good idea to go for a long walk with Ethan, and then even though I was really tired and wanted to call Jeff to pick us up half-way through, I decided that I could "push through it".  Turns out you can't "push through it" with chemo side effects.  Also the fact that we got lost in the woods near our house on the way home and were trailblazing probably didn't help.  But otherwise, last week was good.  I was able to be at work most of the week and catch up on things, I played with the kids, and I was able to eat acidic foods without wanting to curl into a ball. 

So today I'm at Swedish waiting for my next chemo dose.  We're going to lower my dosage by 15% in the hopes that that prevents some of the side effects while still being effective, but I'd also heard about people sucking on ice chips during chemo to help prevent mucositis (by the way, do not do a Bing search of that because the images that come up in the main search results are really horrifying) which sounded like magic mumbo-jumbo but I thought I might as well talk to my doctor about it. 

(Geeky aside: A friend had mentioned that he'd heard about an application of this to prevent hair loss, where you could basically ice your head to keep from losing your hair.  I was imagining a Jetson-like hair salon with big hoods with pumping cooling fluid.  Turns out that people usually use dry ice, although Dr. Kaplan did a study with a pharmaceutical company that was making special helmets you could pump through but (a) it doesn't really seem to work except possibly in cases where people were getting chemo drugs that only sometimes make you lose your hair (not applicable for me) and (b) Dr. Kaplan is not psyched about it anyway because it prevents chemo from going to the outside of your head, which means that it's not fighting any cancer there.  Note that breast cancer can move to your skin, but doesn't move to your mouth.   Either way, I am kind of a fan of my bad-ass bald look so I would be skipping that regardless.)

It turns out that, if this ice thing works, it works by constricting the blood vessels in your mouth so that you don't end up with as much chemo getting absorbed.  That actually makes sense, but they don't have any hard data on how effective it is; hence the planned randomized ice cream trial, because at least then there would be the positive side effect of ice cream.

3 comments:

  1. Just stopped in for an update. Glad to hear you're doing better after your hospital/spa stay. Enjoy every bite of that ice cream. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about Jeni's askinosie dark milk chocolate ice cream? Should I send you some from Columbus :)
    http://www.jenis.com/askinosie-dark-milk-chocolate-pint/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tarah! And yes please Caryn - both Jeff and my doctor are horrified by my love of lavender ice cream and would appreciate a new flavor choice :)

    ReplyDelete